Sunday, August 24, 2008

Merry Christmas to Me!

Scott told me the other day that BYU's opening game is like Christmas for him. That sacred day just happens to be next Saturday. Knowing this helped me decide to do a little Christmas shopping for myself.


I've have decided to buy a piano. After looking at a few in a lower price range I realized I wasn't going to get something very nice for just a couple hundred bucks. Thankfully I have "my stimulus" money from the government. When we found out we were getting that money Scott was negotiating his trip to Seattle (the 2nd one in 3 weeks) to watch BYU play. He found a way by saying we could split the money we got from the Economic Stimulus and neither of us could ask questions as to how we spent our portion. Basically it was our own "play" money.


Needless to say, Scott's going to Washington and I have a piano. My piano was a little more than my portion of the money so it is also our Christmas presents to each other. It is a used piano and a little older but so far I really like it. Now Scott and I don't have to come up with ideas of what we want for Christmas. It's a win-win situation.

The one down thing when I saw it was the absolutely hideous bench. It was all smashed down upholstered with an olive green and orange nasty fabric. It was hard to look past but I figured I could reupholster it. I didn't want to bring it in the house until I was ready to rip off the old and put on the new.


When I went to get fabric I was going to get a plain black that I could wipe off easily but then I saw this fabric just couldn't pass it up. I figure if it gets dirty I'll just redo it again. The one down side is the cushion I had is just a little tall. I didn't realize it until it was all finished. Oh well.


The first night we had the piano we had a concert. Everyone got their own turn to sit and play while everyone else listened. The girls were so excited about it. I'm sure once they actually take lessons and have to practice they won't be quite as excited.


I hope to begin playing a little more. I have never been great but I would love to learn a few hymns and play a few primary songs. So, in my spare time I'll try and practice......

5 comments:

Stephanie B said...

Oh, Becky, its gorgeous!! I love it!

urpy said...

How exciting to get a piano!! And I think the bench looks awesome. You are so good at that sort of thing. It just makes me so envious!

Tiff and Trev said...

How beautiful! I'm SO jealous! How did you find it? I want a piano so bad! One of these days....

Andrea said...

Your piano is beautiful! I especially love the bench--you are so talented!!

Alice said...

Good job Boo boo! I started taking piano lessons with Carter. When I was practicing the other day, I was thinking about the time I lived at your house and we both played on your parents piano. I learned that song "I'll Find You My Friend" and we sang it together all the time. :) Oh, the days in Morgan before our missions!