Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bad Parenting

The other day I guess you could say I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Thinking exercise would help matters I went downstairs to do the eliptical. Of course while you are doing those things you constantly watch the time, distance, calories etc.... I feel like I'm always counting down the time until I'm done. Anyway, I got started and was going pretty good.

Aubree came down to join me and she did the wrong thing. She touched the cord on the machine which, as of recent, has a short in it. It is extremely temper mental and if touched you lose all your info. That's exactly what happened and I got on her pretty good. I said something to the effect of, "I told you not to touch that cord yesterday! Now leave!"

With tears streaming down her face she headed off to find her Dad. She cried until he left for work. At the time I felt a little bad but I was still frustrated with the situation. Eventually throughout the day we both forgave each other and went on with life.

The following morning as I went for the eliptical again Aubree asked, "Mommy, what's the cord?" This is when I felt terrible about the previous morning. I realized she didn't know what I was telling her not to touch. I'm glad she is such a forgiving little girl. I guess you could say she teaches me as much as I teach her.

1 comment:

Stephanie B said...

That reminds me of the church video when the little boy is told again and again not to go to the corner. he looks up at his mom with tear-filled eyes and says, "Mommy, what's a corner?" I always make fun of that video, but yet I try to keep those thoughts in mind.