Thursday, May 1, 2008

An Embarrasing Moment (warning...graphic)

This past week I have realized sometimes as a mother you have to swallow your pride and smile. Sydney has caused me to go red in the face and want to get out of public as soon as possible this week.

This was probably as much my fault as it was Syd's. One morning Ann phoned to let me know Ty had been throwing up the evening before. I was just glad my kids were doing okay.....that was until about 4 pm. I had been cleaning house all day, including mopping the floor. As I was finishing vacuuming I heard a funny noise and I said, "Aubree is Syd okay...."

I then peeked my head out of my door just in time to see Syd with her back to the couch and puke all over the place and she was letting more fly. All her breakfast and lunch came hurling out. To top things off she slipped and fell in the throw-up....(I guess I should've warned this may get graphic). She was crying and I was a little sad my clean floor was no longer clean. I also felt bad she wasn't feeling well I told Aubree to stay there until I got everything cleaned up. I then proceeded to walk through the puke to pick up Syd and rush her to the bathroom.

My footprints could be seen from the scene of the crime to the bathtub. Anyway, we got things cleaned up and Syd was doing much better. I decided the best thing would be to go outside and play for a little bit in case Syd decided she wasn't through.

She did really well and seemed to be feeling much better. My mom stopped by for a quick visit after going to the doctor. Scott wasn't going to home until around 8 pm (on his birthday) so we decided to go and get something to eat.

As they asked if our order was to stay or go I thought about my clean house and decided to stay. Upon reflection, coming home would've been much better. We began eating and Syd was eating really well but Aubree wasn't eating much and getting ornery. The next thing we knew Syd walked over to my mom and as bent to pick her up she threw-up again all over mom and the floor.

I then realized how embarrasing it is when your child throws-up in a restaurant. People are trying to eat and it isn't exactly appetizing to watch someone throw up. Luckily it didn't smell too bad but still it was all over. I quickly grabbed napkins and began wiping the floor. I told Mom to just take Syd and get to the car. Aubree and I would be out in a minute.

After wiping a few more "chunks" things looked much better. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Looking at Mom in the car I realized her black pants were covered. I think she just wanted to get home. I gave her a towel to put over her legs in the car and she went home.

Both girls just wanted to go to bed even though it was only 7 pm. Happily I put them both down and relayed my story to Scott. All seemed well until about 11:40 pm when Aubree was crying and Scott said, "Did she throw-up?" Sure enough she too had caught the bug and threw up all over her bed and floor.

Another bath later, some laundry and major wiping of the floor and everyone was again clean. Luckily that was the last of the trauma. I learned it is extremely embarrasing to have your child throw up in a restaurant.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Oh, the stories we could share!!! Mason is my little "throw-up" boy. He has thrown up more than once in the grocery store. He even threw up on Target...all over our merchandise! :) Motherhood keeps us humble...or makes us humble! :)