Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Proud Moment

There are a few moments when I accomplish something pretty amazing. I feel like this is one of those moments.
Last fall I decided we needed something for the girls to play with/on in the backyard. They love to be outside but we have nothing kid friendly in the backyard. They can ride bikes in the front but then I have to be right there with them or I start getting nervous.

At first I thought I wanted a trampoline but decided (with Scott's help) that maybe that would be better in a couple of years. So I went on the search for a swing set. They are incredibly expensive unless you get one of the small metal ones. I didn't think my girls would play too much with one of the small metal ones.

I loved my neighbor Emily's swing set. So I talked with her about it and was sold. It's definitely not one of the expensive models but it will do for our needs. I had a hard time thinking about paying "a grand" for a swing set, so I didn't.

I was so excited to go and buy this at Walmart until I got there and they were out of them. I made several calls to find one store had one left. Yea!!! After getting home and opening the box I started to understand why all the reviews I read said to plan on about 10 hours to put it together.

Scott and I were a little overwhelmed as we opened these 2 skinny boxes only to find about a thousand different pieces. We thought we just wasted our $400. We doubted we could ever get this thing together.

On Saturday when we started we ended with phase 5 and there were 23 phases in all. We had already spent about 5 hours on the thing. On Monday I was so excited to get going that Ann, my sister, came and helped me for another 5 hours or so. Her and I made quite a team. We were doing some serious work....with our hammers, drills, ratchets, wrenches and all the other tools we used. We knew our Dad would be proud.

Scott helped more on Monday but we still didn't finish. I did as much as I could on Tuesday. It's kinda hard when I was asking Sydney to hold boards for me. Luckily Brooke, my neighbor, came over and helped a bit.

Scott didn't get home until 8:00 pm on Tuesday so we didn't have much light but we got enough done that I thought I could finish alone on Wednesday and that's exactly what I did. It is finally done after 15-20 hours of assembly. The girls are already loving it and so am I.....until it comes time to mow the lawn and we'll figure out what to do then.

Anyway, here are the boxes that the entire swing set came in along with the finished product. I am proud of myself.

7 comments:

Stephanie B said...

Becky that is amazing! I kind of like putting things together - but I think I would get burnt out after 10 hours. That looks Fantastic!

Scott's Blog said...

Just for the record, I did help whenever I had a free minute. Becky forgot to mention the four hours we put in on Monday night for FHE. I could have helped more, but it was a pretty busy week for me and Becky was WAY intense about getting this thing done.

I am proud to say that our marriage survived the swing set assembly. However I found it interesting that Ann and Becky got on great during their time putting it together. Would Ann and Becky be a better marriage than Becky and I? Does Becky have "more patience" with people that she doesn't share the household with?

Just curious.

Ness said...

That is awesome. It looks great. I noticed it from my front yard yesterday and I was thinking how great that is. You should have called me, I love putting things together.
And Scott I love your comment, I can hear Ben asking those same things.

Brooke said...

Yay!!! That was quite the project! There were times I looked down and wondered how your guys' patience was holding up. Getting through a 35-page manual is amazing! I think it was WAY worth it though, plus it's so fun to watch our girls play together and have fun. Good work!

The Coombs' said...

I'm way proud! And you're going to LOVE it! Oh, and those pictures of your girls look so professional! Very Cute!

Ann said...

The reason Becky and I got along so well putting the thing together is because we got all of our fighting out years ago.

Alice said...

Great job guys! It looks like fun!