Thursday, April 9, 2009

Jesus, Thank-You!

A couple of nights ago we knew Scott wouldn't be home for dinner so I didn't really want to make anything so.....off the Wendy's we went. I got the usual chicken nugget kid meal for the girls to share and of course, like always, it comes with a toy. I'll admit that I was a little disappointed to see a CD of some cat game. That meant if, Aubree saw it she would want to play it on the computer and yadda yadda, yadda. It just seemed like a pain to me.

A little later in the evening down she came carrying the cd and asking me how it worked. She told me she wanted to play it on the computer (I was currently on the computer) so I told her after her pj's were on we'd talk. Lately she doesn't want to wear pj's. They bug her. Half the time, I go in to check on her before going to bed myself and her pj's are on the floor in a heap and she's sleeping in her underwear.

She actually made record time in getting ready for bed so I loaded the virtual cat cd thing on the computer. She was excited to choose a cat, a collar and a name. She named her cat Aubree. As she was learning how to "play" with her cat it came to me......I asked Aubree what she had been praying for, for over a year now. She responded with "A Pet and A New Baby". I then went on to talk about how Heavenly Father answered one of those prayers tonight. Aubree now had her own pet. As she thought about this she was "Pumped". She told me that she really wanted a dog but she was happy Jesus had given her this cat.

She continued to play with her new cat. She gave it food,water and a bath. She felt so big to be able to have her own pet. Finally I made her leave the pet so we could have scriptures and prayers before going to bed. Just as we were finishing up Scott got home. Aubree just "had" to show Scott her new pet. After showing him all the things she could do it was time for her personal prayers. I reminded her that she should thank Heavenly Father for her new pet.

Usually Aubree's prayers aren't as sincere as they could be. She kinda likes to hurry through them but tonight was a little different. She began like her usual but then you could just see the wheels turning as she was trying to articulate her thanks for her new pet.

Finally, with the most sincerity I've ever heard from her, she said, "Jesus, thank-you for my new pet!" She then ended her prayer. It was all I could do not to laugh out loud but it was so sweet and she was truly thankful. It was one of those moments that you cherish as a parent and think how cute your kid is.

Now instead of saying, "Bless that we can have a pet" she says, "Bless that we can't have a pet." She's just a funny girl. I think I'm just as grateful for this kind of pet as she is and I'm glad Aubree prayers were answered.

3 comments:

Kenzie said...

SO CUTE!!! Becky... Thanks for your comment about Brinlee-- you know how that day feels when they are finally yours.. Thanks for all your help and friendship.

Brittanie said...

Love this post! I am also jealous that you have a pretend pet;)

Stephanie B said...

That is really cute! Now I wish I would have actually looked at the toy we got from Wendy's the other day.