Saturday, January 31, 2009

Scott and Becky's Random Things

Well, just for the record....Scott is the Hero!! Church basketball has started up again. In one particular game our ward was down pretty much the entire game until......the final second of the game.....then out of nowhere Scott made the winning shot. I'm sure he could describe how he faked left dribbled through his legs and shot off balance and then SWISH...drilled a 3 pointer. He later said that was the first time he's made a game winning basket. We were all proud to walk out with the hero of the game.

Travis, Stephanie and their girls came and spent a few nights at our house. It was fun to play games with them until late in the evening. Steph even impressed us all by making her sister-in-law's wedding cake. They also just announced they'll be leaving Maryland and coming west to Arizona. Yea!!! We are excited to have them a little closer.

This month has been so busy and crazy for me. Our ward was split the last week of December. We are in the new ward which means we started from nothing. Every person had to be called to their new calling. Thankfully I get to keep serving in the same position as Primary President. I have learned that it is a lot of work to start over. It's been work to get all the teachers ready to teach primary, find people for nursery, get a cub scout program going and activity days going. I have a new presidency and I love them already. I was very sad to see my last presidency be put in the other ward but I felt change was coming.


Scott is still waiting for his call. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks he'll have a new calling. He is itching to get serving somewhere. He keeps saying he's been riding my 'coat tails' long enough.

I was also in charge of our fun little dinner club this month. There are 6 of us that get together and make freezer meals for our families. It's been such a great way for me to be able to make and eat dinner at home every night. It's 80% done and you already have everything so you don't have to go to the store.

When you're in charge you make up the menu, do all the shopping, divide out the food, host the event and just make sure all things are ready to go. It's definitely worth it but a lot of work for one week. I'm glad my friend Jen invited me to join them a year and a half ago.

I also started playing Layton City Rec Volleyball again this month. It's so fun to play. Most of the people I play with are in our ward. It's great to have a night to do something active. We usually laugh through most of the game. I love it.

Since it's a new year I have also set a few goals for myself. Since buying my piano I have been playing it for a few minutes almost every day. It's so much more enjoyable to play now compared to when I was younger. So, my goal for the year is to be able to play the majority of the songs from the primary songbook from the end of the year. I am working on a couple more difficult songs each week.

I also want to take a photography class sometime this year. A local photographer was offering a class but I was too late to sign up. She is going to let me know when she will be offering the class again so hopefully sometime in the next year I'll be able to take that class. I am really excited about this goal. I really enjoy photography and want to learn more.

I want to do better at my personal scripture study this year. I don't know why this is so hard to get to but I want to make a good effort to make this more of a habit.

The last and hardest goal is weight loss. Since joining Crossroads Fitness I have made slow progress but I feel better. My goal is not huge but I think it's attainable. I want to be down 20 pounds by the end of next year. I will have more to go but I think I can actually do this.

6 comments:

Ness said...

I need step by step instructions for the dinner club. I think we should do that in our neighborhood.
Oh and Rec volleyball is amazing. I'm so glad we are doing it again. Lets take a team photo. That way we have proof that we play.

The Marlatt's said...

They finally split the wards!! Is Bishop Harvey still your bishop or the other ward??

Becky said...

We are now the Pleasant Valley 7th Ward....a completely new ward. Bishop Harvey is still the Bishop. He's been in for 6 years and counting. Your old house isn't in our ward.

They split our neighborhood in half by 1st phase (7th Ward) and 2nd phase (6th Ward). The townhouses are split in half. Across the gulley is the 6th ward. We have bldgs ABCDIJKL and the 6th ward has EFGH in the Falls. All the Richmond homes are in the 6th Ward and down by the Bishop's house is in the 7th ward.

The Coombs' said...

Good little recap. You have such a busy life...but you still manage to stay glued together. You are awesome!

Alice said...

I wish we lived close together...we could really have some serious fun. You motivate me and we could accomplish so much! I have many of the same goals for myself...in a non-written way. I decided I wasn't going to write anything down officially...but I want to do many of those same things. Especially the photography class. I love taking pictures too, I need a better camera to start off with. :)
You are still amazing to me Boo Boo!

colleen said...

Hey Becky! So I've been MIA in the blogging world lately, but it's so great to read about what's going on with you all. Crazy ward split! If I were still there we'd still be in the same ward, at least! :) love you lots...