Thursday, July 10, 2008

Aubree and Bree



Today's picture comes from a few days ago but it's something I want to document. BreeAnn came to our house for the first time to see Aubree. About a year ago we met her for lunch and then went to a park to play but she has never been to our house. Aubree has talked about Bree and knows who she is since that first visit. A few weeks ago Aubree and I had a conversation about Bree. I emailed Bree and let her know what we said. I'll copy and post that email here:

Hi Bree

I just had to write and tell you about what just happened at our house this morning. Aubree asked me to read her a story. Anyway, the book's about a little girl that is adopted and likes to hear the story of when she was born. As I read the book I was talking about when she was born.

As we finished the story I said I felt sad for Bree the day she said good-bye to Aubree. I had tears in my eyes and Aubree started getting emotional. Before I knew it she was crying big alligator tears. I asked if she knew that Bree loved her and she said yes. She cried for a good 10 minutes. As I was holding her talking about you and how much you love her she said she missed you. We got out the pictures you gave us when you were little. Anyway, it was just a sweet little moment and I wanted you to know we have been thinking about you today and Aubree loves you.

I told Aubree she could email you anytime she wanted to. She said she wanted to right now. I asked her what she wanted to say and she said that I love her.

I love you too for changing my life with Aubree. She is the sweetest girl and so much fun to have around. Thanks for everything you've done for me.

Love
Becky and Aubree


Bree called us later that night and said she would be coming through town and asked if we could get together. Aubree was soooo excited to have Bree coming. Everyday for a couple weeks she would ask me if Bree was coming that day.

As Aubree and Bree were together you could just see a special bond they have with each other. It is very sweet and I'm glad they have that. I have had people ask if I feel okay with that and the answer is...absolutely. It doesn't change the fact that I'm Aubree's mom and will be forever. I'm secure in that and think it's wonderful that she can know who her birth mom is and know that she is loved by her.
I feel like Bree is my sister. I can't imagine too many people other than a "sister" that would place a baby with another. I want her to be happy and I love her for the sacrifice she has made for myself as well as Aubree. I have a special relationship with Bree that's hard for others to understand.

As Scott and I were talking after Bree left I asked Scott if he thought Sydney would ever feel left out because she doesn't have a Bree. Aubree heard us and piped up with, "It's okay Mom, I'll share my Bree with her."

Here are a few pictures of Aubree and Bree playing together.

As they hugged and said good-bye Aubree told Bree she loved her. For Aubree, that's a big thing.

7 comments:

The Harwood Family said...

That just about made me cry! How sweet! I remember back when you came home with Aubree. Thanks for sharing that!

Stephanie B said...

What a beautiful posting. And what a sweet little girl. She sure does have a big heart!

Dannenbergs said...

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing that little piece of your life, it was precious!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. Seriously, I am not an emotional person but that definitely tugs at the heart strings.
Before I read the story I thought it was a picture of your sister. So, it was ironic that you said that in your post.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

urpy said...

Oh goodness, that started the tears a'flowin. What a wonderful, touching moment! And I couldn't believe how much Bree looks like you, Becky. I thought she was Ann at first glance. She seriously could be your blood sister. You guys have such a neat relationship with Bree. And Aubree has a pretty tender heart. What a sweetie!

Andrea said...

Amazing. So many levels of emotions for all of you I'm sure. Thank you for sharing that. And those pictures are priceless--interesting to see just how much you all look like you belong with each other in different ways.

MysteryWoman said...

Becky - my brother adopted all five of his kids and they call their birth mom's their Special Angel. I think it is so amazing that Bree and Aubree can still have a relationship - what a tender moment. Thanks for sharing the sacred parts of your life for us to share.
Lara