Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Little Bit of Heaven

So, my favorite breakfast cereals are Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds or Peaches and Frosted Mini Wheats. I'm really weird when I eat the Frosted Mini Wheats and it frustrates me that I have to be so picky.

Before I will eat a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats I make sure that each mini wheat is turned so the frosting is up. If any of them are upside down I manually turn them over. I just can't eat them upside down. I have to let the milk sit a but so it soaks up into each bite. I'm not like that with any other cereal. It's so bad I can't even pour some for my girls without turning all of theirs the right way too. They taste so much better if the frosting has not dissolved into the milk. Now that's way too much information about me and my breakfast habits.

Lately every morning as I am eating my cereal, right side up of coarse, I wish I had made up some of my Mother-in-Law's fabulous granola. It so soft and delicious that after eating it one time at her house I knew I needed the recipe. Thank-you mom for sharing it with me and now I will post it for anyone else interested in the best granola you have ever tasted.


Granola
6 cups oats
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 TBSP sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup dates, raisins or craisins (I usually add craisins, but Scott doesn't like them and I didn't have any today so it went without)
I also added some almonds that I had on hand

Sauce:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 TBSP salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp maple flavor

Mix the first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until well coated and pour on a baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir once while baking.

4 comments:

Stephanie B said...

My roommates from college loved it when I brought granola back from visiting home. Its one of my favorites!

BTW, I do the same with the frosted mini wheats.

Holly said...

I love granola and will have to try your recipe. Is it tough to chew like the granola you buy at the store?

I also like to have the frosting side up. It is just better that way.

Scott's Blog said...

Wow, Becky I thought for a moment you had OCD. But after reading the two previous comments I guess you're "normal".

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted a good recipe for granola. The ones I found online were nothing to brag about.

that's funny that you are OCD about your mini wheats.