Monday, July 21, 2008

Ewww!

So.....the other day Aubree ran to the backyard to grab something. When she returned to the front yard (we hang out in the front yard because there's more shade) she told me she saw a rat. Of course I didn't believe her but I asked her a few questions about it. Things like, was it a Ratatouille rat, did you look at it's eyes, did it have a tail.


I was trying to figure out if she really saw something. Our new neighbor, Brooke, was out with us too and I didn't want her to think we had rats so I was trying to brush off Aubree's comments. We don't want the neighbors to think we have rats.


A few days later I looked outside and this is what I saw! I know it's just a squirrel but it's hair was spiking and he had beady eyes and it just kinda sicked me out. (This is the best shot I got because I wasn't about to go out and have a photo shoot with the little guy. I really need to clean my window.)


I opened the door just a titch to see if it would run and where it would run. It ran under my back step. There's a little area that I think he thinks is his new home. Later the same day I went outside and the next thing I knew I heard some quick scurrying and the little rodent ran past me. That's when I realized I'm afraid I'm going to step on him with my bare feet or he will run over my feet YUCK!

Scott thinks I'm a little silly but I really don't want a squirrel living under my step. I tried calling Truly Nolan (the little bug car) but they told me they don't do anything with squirrels. He gave me some wildlife guy to call. I did and left a message but haven't heard back.

I haven't seen him today but maybe that's because yesterday we may have scared him with all the kids we had running around. If anyone has suggestions on getting rid of spiky haired squirrels please let me know.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I understand about the concern for stepping on the squirrel. I am always scared of that too.

At Utah State there were squirrels all over in the trees and bushes and I was always worried I would step on one. Well, one day I was walking behind someone and a squirrel ran out and the guy stepped right on him. He picked up his foot but the squirrel didn't know what to do and just kind of stood there and the guy was going to lose his balance so he put his foot right back down on the squirrel.

I of course was behind him panicking and trying really hard not to scream and run. Finally the squirrel ran off and the guy was able to continue walking, but I am sure he is still tramatized about stepping on a squirrel as well.

The moral of this long story is to tell Scotty that it isn't a silly thing to worry about stepping on a squirrel. It could happen!

Becky said...

That's funny Ann. Thanks for backing me.

Tiff and Trev said...

What?! Of course all the fun rodent things come around AFTER I move! I love squirrels! That's weird he likes your steps and not a tree. He does kind of look like a fat squirrel.

P.S~ Miss you lots!