Sunday, July 6, 2008

Best Purchases of the Year

I've made plenty of purchases in my life that don't turn out exactly as expected but once in a while I buy something that I don't regret at all. There are 3 things I have purchased in the past year that have become some of my essentials.


#3
OXO Salad Spinner
approx. $30

I have never had a salad spinner and usually I just bought bagged lettuce mainly because it was easier but also because after cutting a regular head of lettuce and washing it it would always wilt.

After trying Ann's new salad spinner I knew I had to buy one for myself. I really enjoy making salads now and the lettuce stays crisp and fresh and I rarely buy iceberg lettuce anymore. Scott has even enjoyed the salad spinner. That says a lot about a kitchen gadget. Aubree also loves to be the spinner.



#2
Sally Beauty Supply
Generic Value Products 1" Ceramic Flat Iron
approx. $60
I ask myself why I was using that cheap $15 flat iron for a couple of years. This thing is like magic. It works soooooo much better and is worth every penny I paid for it. It actually straightens my hair and leaves it much silkier instead of being a big frizz head with kinks all over. I'll never go back.

After rationalizing the cost of only $5 a month for a year I realized it was well worth the money. I went out that very day and bought it. The only thing that makes me a little nervous about it is it gets extremely hot and I don't want my girls to get burned by it. I have been extra cautious with it. I love it!!!



#1 BEST PURCHASE OF THE YEAR (drum roll please)
Olympus E500 Digital SLR Camera
approx. $600


Again, I can blame Ann for this one. They bought this camera and every time I looked at her pictures they were so clear and such good quality I coveted their camera. I decided if I was ever going to buy a nice camera now was the time. My kids wouldn't be little forever.

I have loved my camera since day 1. I did some research on cameras before buying this one and realized with this one you get 2 lenses for about the same price as a Canon or Nikon and the quality is definitely comparable as far as I could tell.

Needless to say we love the camera. Once I get it out Syd starts saying...cheese while Aubree begs to take a few pictures. Scott has a little headlamp for reading at night. It has a large light on a strap and looks somewhat like a flash. The girls like to put the strap around their neck, put the light to their eyes and say cheese. It cracks me up every time they find it and think it's a camera.

One of these days I'll post about some of my worst purchases because they are usually funnier stories. Usually me falling for some great deal. Until then I'll continue to enjoy my wiser assets.







7 comments:

urpy said...

Great post, Becky! I can't wait to hear about the failed purchases! I also am in love with my salad spinner. I've had one for four years now and swear by it. Kim came to visit in April and went home and bought one as well.

And you are convincing me to buy a decent hair straightener. When you said it didn't leave bumps and kinks, I was intrigued. My $15 straightener stinks. I might have to fork out some cash for a quality one now.

Becky said...

Becky, my sister has talked with someone who has bought every flat iron out there and she said she wouldn't spend more than $60 on one but she said to make sure it was a ceramic one.

I was going to get a Chi but I think mine is really comparable at about 1/2 the cost.

Stephanie B said...

I recently bought a salad spiner and I have LOVED IT!!! I pushed forward to make the purchase because I remember chatting on the phone with you right after you had bought yours. I'm just so happy each time I use it.

City Manager's Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott's Blog said...

I was wondering where all of our money was going.

Stay tuned for my next blog entry: "Best Purchases of the Year"

#1 A new set of golf clubs

Alice said...

Becky,
I totally agree with your purchases! I have a salad spinner that I love also...Matt uses it all the time too! And I have the exact same flat iron. Kipp (my brother the hair stylist) said it is comparable to the Chi for half the cost. Good purchases! :)

Now, I am coveting your camera...Matt and I have been wanting to get a nice one...so we will have to look into that! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Andrea said...

Those are some great purchases! As a funny side note, Alec has a headlamp for reading at night, too. My kids are always playing with it, and it makes him so mad. (: